The foundation for the first St Augustine’s church was laid in 1848. The church was designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, widely regarded as England’s most influential early-Victorian architect, designer and theorist.
The first mass was celebrated in the church on Palm Sunday 1851.
The church could comfortably seat 60 worshippers. The sanctuary was at the east end. A handsome pointed arch and communion rail separated the 17 foot wide sanctuary, with its altar made from a solid block of sandstone, seven feet six inches long and, from the nave, 22 foot wide and 40 foot long.
Externally the junction of the sanctuary and nave was marked by a square tower supporting an octagonal spire. Provided with a fireplace and chimney, the sacristy projected from the south side opposite the tower. Covered with Welsh slates, the steep roof was stopped at each end by tall gables surmounted by crosses.
The beautiful timber roof beams.
At the base of six of the roof arch support there are six happy moulded faces.