Ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion
Ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion assist with the Rite of Communion during mass.
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion serve the Eucharistic life of the community, assisting the Ordinary Ministers of the Eucharist during the Rite of Communion. They are acknowledged by the Bishop at the request of the Parish Priest to assist the celebrant and other Ordinary Ministers during the liturgy in sharing the Eucharistic body and blood of Christ. They are commissioned by the Parish Priest or his delegate. The commissioning should take place in the presence of the community during mass.
- During the Rite of Communion, helps the Ordinary Ministers of Communion share the Eucharist.
- Extraordinary Ministers are also responsible for taking Holy Communion to the housebound and aged-care institutions
Personal Traits and Qualities
- Must be at least 16 years of age and who has been duly prepared for this role.
- Is recognized within the parish community as a person of good reputation and love for the Eucharist.
- Participates fully as a member of the liturgical assembly.
- Desires to serve the community and to commit time and talents to this ministry.
- Exercises the ministry in a manner which fosters to the prayer and participation of the assembly, and ensures the smooth celebration of the Rite of Communion.
- Is committed to prayer, gospel values, and growth in personal holiness.
- Is at ease with one-to-one social encounters, and can look people in the eye.
- Understands the sacredness of the Eucharistic encounter, giving this moment the time and presence it deserves.
- Is willing to develop skills of gracious movement and a consciousness of body language.
- Is enthusiastic and has good relational skills.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Has participated in a training process that reflects on the mystery of the Eucharist, theology of Liturgy, and the specific duties of this ministry.
Interested in Becoming a Minister of Holy Communion?
We are always looking for more volunteers to be part of our ministry. If you would like to become an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion please contact the Parish Office on (02) 9810 1157 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking forward to welcoming you.